[EM] Best Ever Single Winner Method?

Forest Simmons
This is a three slot method: voters can mark candidates "preferred," "acceptable," or blank (no mark).

There is a simple, low cost, (but not instant) runoff between the the candidate with the greatest number of preferred ratings and the candidate with the greatest approval (preferred plus acceptable ratings).

The runoff is by candidate proxy, i.e. by asset voting.  A candidate's asset total is the number of ballots (or fractions thereof) on which she is marked "preferred."

So if you mark three candidates as preferred, each one of them gets a third of an asset from your ballot.

In general three slot methods get off to a great start, but get bogged down in deciding what to do when it is not clear whether the approval winner or the plurality winner should be the method winner.

And every time we propose asset voting we get bogged down in rules to constrain the candidates to some reasonable way of using their assets to settle on a winner.

This hybrid method avoids both problems in one fell swoop!

Re: [EM] Best Ever Single Winner Method?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax

Hybrid method, using runoffs. I'm not sure the complication is necessary, over simple Asset, and "reasonable" is for the voters to judge, in any Asset method.

But this is a good method.

The best voting systems are not deterministic.

Runoff voting is the widest- used "advanced method." In fact, it's very old, standard democratic process simply keeps voting until someone gets a majority. No eliminations. IRV went around killing a method superior to IRV (because of what actually happens in runoffs, and especially if write-ins are allowed in a runoff. Simple top two runoff without write-ins is guaranteed to find a simple and meaningless majority. People are suckers for words with the core meaning gutted.

The runoff can be avoided if preferred and acceptable coincide, and acceptable is a majority. But runoffs, especially with write-is allowed, validate that a majority acceptance is informed, not merely an artifact of appearances in the primary.

I still prefer to handle single-winner elections with an Asset Assembly, majority of "effective proxies" required for completion. The entire electorate is represented in the Electoral College and could negotiate a winner. (The Asset Assembly is a standard assembly, each seat elected by a quota of transferred or direct votes. I expect that in mature Asset, almost all effective votes will be indirect, transferred, from people the voters actually know and can communicate with. This is a solution to the problem of scale in democracy.)

On 5/15/2019 4:21 PM, Forest Simmons wrote:
[...]

Chris Benham-2

Forest,

Why, in this 3-slot method, do you want the winner to be either the Top Ratings winner or the Approval winner?

What is wrong with the Condorcet winner?

Given that  you have chosen that the winner be one of  two candidates, how do you justify not simply picking
the one that pairwise beats the other?

I am allergic to needlessly giving losing candidates any more power to influence the result than any other voter.

In my book all acceptable 3-slot methods should meet either FBC or (3-slot) Condorcet. (We know that meeting both
isn't possible).  Your suggested method meets neither.

49: A
48: B
03: C>B

In this example A is the Top-Ratings winner and B is the Approval winner.

In your "asset voting" runoff A and B both vote for themselves, but say C is a supporter of plurality voting and so thinks that
A is the legitimate winner and besides, A has promised him a really good job if he wins office (which A "might"not have
done if C hadn't been a candidate in this election) and so C votes for A and A wins.

B is of course the Condorcet winner and in this example all acceptable methods will elect B.  (Otherwise what was the point
of replacing plurality voting?).

Acceptable 3-slot methods?  For  FBC compliance I like IBIFA:

*If any candidate X is rated Top on more ballots than any non-X candidate is approved on ballots that don't top-rate X, then
  the X with the highest Top-ratings score wins.

 Otherwise the most approved candidate wins.*

Also good for FBC compliance is "Improved Condorcet", Top-Ratings  (aka ICT).

For compliance with 3-slot Condorcet I suggest Smith//Approval or  Smith//Top  or  (at a pinch, for greater simplicity)
Condorcet//Approval.

Chris Benham