Hitler-Stalin-Middle Example Again

Craig Carey-2
In an article, [hidden email] (Rob Lanphier) writes:

>However, if anyone has a particularly elegant way of doing a rank ballot,
>I'm all ears.  Actually, what about bar-coded stamps with the name and
>picture of each candidate on them, and a place for them on the ballot?
>Sort of like the Publishers' Clearinghouse garbage?  It'd be a bit more
>expensive than a plain ballot, but not nearly as expensive as equiping
>all polling places with a ton of computers.

          There are millions of PC's around and some of them may surely
be rented or borrowed for a day.

          http://www.igs.net/~lsaumur/

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Lucien Saumur wrote:

> In an article, [hidden email] (Rob Lanphier) writes:
> >However, if anyone has a particularly elegant way of doing a rank ballot,
> >I'm all ears.  Actually, what about bar-coded stamps with the name and
> >picture of each candidate on them, and a place for them on the ballot?
> >Sort of like the Publishers' Clearinghouse garbage?  It'd be a bit more
> >expensive than a plain ballot, but not nearly as expensive as equiping
> >all polling places with a ton of computers.
>
>           There are millions of PC's around and some of them may surely
> be rented or borrowed for a day.

Yes, but setting them up and using them *for an official election* is a
non-trivial task.  The labor is not something to write off.  It is
*expensive*.  I doubt that people could be sold on the idea of using a
ragtag collection of "loaner" computers for an election.

Rob Lanphier
[hidden email]
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla