Re: [EM] Just to let you know ....

Forest Simmons

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 14:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From: robert bristow-johnson <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]"
        <[hidden email]>
Subject: [EM] Just to let you know that I got into my first good
        fight...

... with Terry Bouricius, who is the very person that told me about this mailing list and had posted to this list about a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7ACMAkc54

If you scroll past the FairVote dreck to 32:17, you'll see where I make the case that it failed us in Burlington Vermont in 2009.

Excellent, thorough, clear, explanation of why IRV failed to deliver as promised in Burlington in 2009 ... not a fluke, but the inevitable result of eliminating fall-back choices before they have a chance to serve their purported purpose ... convincing evidence that IRV/RCV is not good enough to replace FPP PLurality.

If only Robert Bristow-Johnson had been allowed a few more minutes he could have introduced some of the simple solutions to the deficiencies of IRV  that are well known to EM list participants.

Some IRV supporters excuse IRV by saying "no method's perfect." True, just like no internal combustion engine has 100 percent efficiency ... but that doesn't mean we can never improve on Henry Ford's Model T.

You can also get my paper about it here:
 https://www.dropbox.com/s/umfyn6roysithpg/The%20Impetus%2C%20Necessity%2C%20and%20Purpose%20of%20Ranked-Choice%20Voting.pdf?dl=0

And you can see a Scientific American article coauthored by Nobel laureate Eric Maskin here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl8cwhwhdsy10gh/The%20Fairest%20Vote%20of%20All.pdf?dl=0

Comments welcome.

--

r b-j                  [hidden email]