Single Winner Methods Pros and Cons

Craig Carey-2
Bruce A:
>According to Jerry S. Kelly ("Social Choice Theory,"
>Springer-Verlag, 1987, p62):  "... [for] a relatively simple case
>with just five individuals [voters] and four alternatives ... the
>number of possible social choice rules is ... approximately
>10^235,000,000,000 ..."

How about including some context for this message?

Was this a reply to another list message?  I note two others with the
same subject line but I don't see any other connection.

Does the number of possible combinations have any significance for us?

--Steve

On Mar 30,  6:25pm, Steve Eppley wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EM] Single Winner Methods Pros and Cons
> Bruce A:
> >According to Jerry S. Kelly ("Social Choice Theory,"
> >Springer-Verlag, 1987, p62):  "... [for] a relatively simple case
> >with just five individuals [voters] and four alternatives ... the
> >number of possible social choice rules is ... approximately
> >10^235,000,000,000 ..."
>
> How about including some context for this message?
>
> Was this a reply to another list message?  I note two others with the
> same subject line but I don't see any other connection.
>
> Does the number of possible combinations have any significance for us?
>
> --Steve
>
>-- End of excerpt from Steve Eppley

Sorry.  The message it replyed to listed 4 single-winner voting methods, in
order by the author's preference, and then asked if there were any more.

Bruce